If you landed on our page because you Googled - Best Knee Pain Treatment in Richmond, below are some great reasons why you should see one of our experts for knee pain physical therapy in Richmond.
Natural, Hands-on Care is Our Specialty for Those Searching for Knee Pain Treatment in Richmond
Physical therapists (PTs) are experts in the natural/conservative evaluation and treatment of knee pain diagnoses.
We care for people of all ages, athletes, weekend warriors, and seniors.
We treat a variety of thigh, knee, and leg diagnoses & movement disorders.
Common Knee Pain Conditions that Respond Well to Physical Therapist Guided TreatmentWhy seek out a licensed and experienced clinician for knee physical therapy in Richmond?
There are a number of movement disorders and medical diagnoses that respond well to natural care. For knee arthritis, there are regularly published treatment guidelines that support physical therapy treatment for knee pain. Here's one great article (though a bit dated, it is still spot on), "guidelines from OARSI and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons that are based on a systematic review recommend a variety of physical therapy interventions including low-impact aerobic fitness exercises, range of motion/flexibility exercises, quadriceps strengthening, and patellar taping for short-term pain relief." Click here for the reference.
So, here are some common conditions that we successfully treat:
- Patellofemoral Pain
- Ligament Sprains
- Tendon/Muscle Strains
- IT Band Syndrome
- Post Surgical Conditions
What is My Best First Choice When Searching for Knee Pain Treatment in Richmond?
There are a number of commonly available treatments, many of which just mask your pain. When you experience knee pain, it is usually the result of one or more of the following: overuse (running too much for example), faulty mechanics, and/or a trauma.
- Corticosteroid Injections
- Epidural Injections
- Physical Therapy*
Why Should I See a Physical Therapist for Knee Pain Treatment in Richmond?
There are a number of treatment options for knee pain. While it's tempting to seek out a quick fix, to permanently heal and stay healthy, changes have to occur to your body.
This is exactly what physical therapy is designed to accomplish and therefore, here are the benefits of seeing a physical therapist for knee physical therapy in Richmond.
- Little to No side effects.
- It's affordable - especially in comparison to MRIs, injections, or surgery.
- Physical therapist directed care addresses the underlying cause of the pain.
What Does Physical Therapy for Knee Pain Consist Of?
Pain, believe it or not, is a good thing. It's your body telling you that something is wrong. However, it can be terrible and disabling. With this in mind, here's the common overview of a knee pain physical therapy plan of care:
- Pain Relief
- A Home Program so You Can Work on the Problems Daily
- Recovery of Knee Motion
- Recovery of Strength
- Functional/Sports Retraining
- Independent Home/Health Club Program
What will Your Physical Therapist Do if I Come in to See One?
Here's what usually happens if you need physical therapy for knee discomfort:
- A thorough biomechanical evaluation - we examine your walking, running, jumping, etc.
- Extensive patient education - at this stage, we will share our findings with you and what we determine is causing the pain..
- A customized treatment plan.
- Gentle hands-on techniques to relax the muscles.
- Effective joint mobilization techniques to decrease stiffness.
- Pain relieving modalities such as ice, heat, ultrasound or electrical stimulation.
- Targeted stretching for tight muscles.
- Progressive strength training.
- Balance and muscular re-education.
How Many Physical Therapy Treatments are Needed for Knee Pain?
Everyone is different. It depends on your diagnosis, your health, the duration of your symptoms, what you'd like to return to, and a number of other factors.
That said, we will give you a general idea of how long it will take to reach your goals.
IMPORTANT: do remember that it takes time for the body to heal.